Washington, District of Columbia
Following the Footsteps of the Founding Father
When guests walk in the first thing they remark upon is how beautifully designed the Thomas Jefferson Suite is. The ownership of The Jefferson makes sure that the suite is always well taken care of so it’s frequently repainted, reupholstered and ready to welcome anyone from families to heads of state. They had a big influence in the design, making sure that it was elegant enough, but still feel homey and comfortable. The suite’s most unique feature is probably the views. You can see the White House and the Washington Monument from the living room! The amenities include: complimentary WiFi, phone calls worldwide, complimentary garment pressing for up to 5 items, complimentary water, 24-hour room service, 24-hour butler service, a welcome amenity made by our pastry department and bathroom amenities that were custom made for The Jefferson by Red Flower. It also features a kitchen with Wolf appliances and it can connect to a Deluxe King room so you can add on another bedroom if you needed to.
Suite Talk Q&A
- What is a typical day in the life of a suite? A typical day; I’m so glad you asked! It’s really difficult being the largest, most luxurious suite at The Jefferson. At 1,900 square feet on the highest floor; being the Presidential Suite is hard work! Well, first off, I take a big stretch; even though we’ve only been open since 2009, The Jefferson has lived on the corner of 16th and M St, since 1923 so it’s important to keep my historic bones moving. Then I wait for my hair and makeup team, also known as Housekeeping. There are a lot of members of my glam squad that are responsible for making sure I stay in tip-top shape! I’m deep cleaned; any of my corners that may have gotten chipped are repainted, by Engineering. My kitchen, which is equipped with Wolf appliances is stocked with anything that the incoming guest needs & anything they have specifically requested by the Food & Beverage department and lastly, the Executive Housekeeper comes in and gives me one last look before I’m camera ready.
- What was your favorite feedback or comment received from past guests? How comfortable I am and how much I feel like home. My living room has a fireplace and a hidden TV so it’s ideal for meetings or a gathering of friends and family. There’s a dining room table that seats 10 so guests don’t have to leave the comfort of their room to dine. Did I tell you about my bed? I didn’t? WELL! My bed is a custom made California King; made just for me as are the linens. My bathroom is huge and features a soaking tub and a TV in the mirror (all of our rooms have this feature) so you can luxuriate in the tub while catching up on current events.
If a guest would like to work out, there is also a small fitness area with free weights, mats and an elliptical trainer so they can get in their daily steps all without having to leave me!
- What is your biggest indulgence in captivating new guests? Well, being part of the most awarded hotel in Washington, DC doesn’t hurt. Neither does our location. Did you know that I am just four blocks from the White House and the views from me are insane! You can see the White House, the Washington Monument and can even get a glimpse of the planes taking off from Reagan National Airport, which is just 5 miles away from the hotel. Some of my amenities include, complimentary WiFi, phone calls world-wide, complimentary garment pressing for 5 items, complimentary water (we bottle our own), 24-hour room service, 24-hour butler service, a welcome amenity made by our pastry department and bathroom amenities that were custom made for The Jefferson by Red Flower. Our signature scent is called Monticello Grove and features botanicals that one would have found in Jefferson’s beloved Monticello.
- Is there a famous name, a particular street or monument that you most identify with? What inspired your style? Jefferson, of course! The hotel pays homage to Jefferson with small touches at every turn. We have Jefferson signed documents that span his political career in our lobby and our Book Room, which is open for guests and filled with volumes of books that Jefferson would have read during his time. In Plume, our Michelin-starred restaurant, we feature one of the largest collections of Madeira, a fortified wine that was used to toast the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which Jefferson helped write. Some of our vintages Jefferson could have enjoyed in his lifetime, our oldest currently dates to 1720!
- What sets you apart from other suites in this city? Well, since this is Washington, DC there are lots of other lovely suites in the city; so many to choose from! I think what sets me apart from other suites is how at home people feel when they step into my foyer.
- What would be your advice for a first time guest visiting? Don’t jump on my bed! Just kidding! Talk to our staff about some of the amazing things there are to see in the city. We have some of the most welcoming employees in town from Ahmed at the door to Chris, our Les Clef D’or concierge and a native Washingtonian. Everyone here wants to make sure that our guests have a one of a kind DC experience. Also, bring sneakers. DC is a big walking city and we are within walking distance to many of the city’s must-see neighborhoods including Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, the 14th street corridor and the National Mall where many of our famed museums reside.
- How would you like to be remembered? As Jefferson once said, “Traveling is good for your health and necessary for your amusement.” I hope that people will always travel to Washington, DC to learn about this historic city and that they’ll always think of The Jefferson as their home away from home.
- What is your suite motto? In the words of my namesake, “You shall find me with a room, a bed and a plate with a hearty welcome.” Thomas Jefferson wrote that in a letter to James Monroe in 1784 and it still holds true today. Sure, The Jefferson, DC is a luxury, boutique hotel with all of the modern amenities, but at the end of the day, we really just want to be warm and welcoming to all of our guests and provide them with all of the essentials they’ll need for a great visit including excellent customer service.
- Who was your all-time favorite guest? Now, now…we don’t play favorites here at The Jefferson. All of our guests are our favorites; it’s why we’re all here!
Click here to learn more about The Jefferson Hotel and the Valerie Wilson Travel Suite Access™ benefits available to you.